Pages

Followers

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Kale Chips, A Great Snack





Yesterday I made kale chips and basically ate the entire thing by myself.  You can think whatever you want, but I am a snacker and I'm always looking for something to munch on.  I also wanted to introduce it to my nephew who is fuzzy about everything green on his plate.  First I asked him if he wanted chips and a big smile came over his face, but after he saw that they were green I couldn't get him to try it.  I have made it before for my little one and she also refused to try anything green, but hey, she is drinking orange juice with broccoli rabb most mornings, so I am not going to force the issue.  So a few people asked about kale chips and I wanted to show them that it is easy to make and a great snack packed with vitamin K, vitamin C and beta carotene.   I truly find them delicious but don't take my word, try them yourself.

Ingredients:

Kale (not sure about the measurements on this, I probably used 5 or 6 leaves of kale)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/4 tsp Sea salt - use your own judgement 

Instructions:

Cut the kale in small strips, discard the stems
Then wash it and pat it down with a paper towel
Put into a Ziploc bag and add 1 tablespoon of oil to coat and sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Toss around in the bag so that the oil and salt covers the entire greens
Spread the kale in a baking pan in a single file
Bake on 400 degree oven for about 10 to 15 mins until the ends of the greens turn crispy.  

Keep a close eye on this, because they bake very quickly and you don't want to burn them.   If your oven is very hot  bake at 350 for 5 to 10 minutes.  


After they are done, snack it right away, you will see they will melt in your mouth.  Oh well, I am not sure if this is a big hit among the young ones in the house, but I am sure if they actually tried it they will have a different reaction.  Enjoy!!



1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe you made this and didn't bring me some, much less ate them all by yourself.....

    ReplyDelete