Pages

Followers

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rhubarb Cobbler.....Sweeeeet!!

Red rhubarb in season now
Okay guys, haven't blogged in a long while.  My children are back from college for the summer so I have had less time to blog, but I really should get back to it.  Here is an update, I recently joined a CSA, which is a "community supported agriculture", an organization where I get weekly vegetables & fruits from a local farm.  I am so excited.  I truly forgot to take pictures of my first stash, but basically everything is grown organically and in season.  My first batch included fresh ripe strawberries, kale, bokchoy, turnips,  and arugula.  Next batch I will surely take pictures.  Strawberries were gone the second day and boy were they sweet and delicious.  The same day I made bokchoy with green apples with a dash of apple vinegar. Yum!  Now the exciting part of the CSA, is that some of the veggies are new to me, like rhubarb.  So here goes my first attempt at doing anything with rhubarb: a cobbler. I'm about to do it now and will give my verdict by the end of this blog. But first, here's the recipe:


Rhubarb cobbler recipe calls for: (recipe from recipe.com . ..I made some adjustments)

  • 3/4 cup white sugar - I used Organic cane sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 4 cups chopped rhubarb
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon butter diced (earth balance)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (Organic pastry flour)
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup milk (soy milk no eggs and apple sauce)
  • 1 egg, beaten


Directions:

Chopped up the rhubarb and mixed it with 1 tablespoon of water, sugar and cornstarch, boil for about 5 minutes.
Add to a baking dish then add a dash of butter and sprinkle with cinnamon.


Chopped and mix with cornstarch, sugar and water, boil for 5 minutes
Separate bowl, sift flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add the butter and mix with fingers until crumbly.  


Flour should look like this...crumbled 
In another small bowl mix milk and eggs.  I used soy milk and apple sauce for texture and excluded the egg.  Now add into the dry ingredients just to moisten.  


Spread onto the rhubarb mixture.  Sprinkle sugar..I used brown sugar on top.  Then bake.  Wait until it cools before you cut into it.  



Okay my children didn't know what rhubarb looked like and was skeptical trying anything new, but by the first mouthful, they were hooked.  They said it tasted a little like apple pie.  Even my fussy nephew, after much inspection tried it and cleaned his plate.  I was very pleased it was sweet and tart.  Hubby liked it a lot too.  The crust was also very good even though I left out the eggs,  it was perfect.  Okay guys I guess I will be making this again.  Enjoy!!. 










4 comments:

  1. OMG! I will be anxiously awaiting for my piece of that pie when i come over the next time. It looks and sounds delicious. This is one pie i have not had since i was a young lass. Rhubarb and custard, yum it was always my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I will have to try it next time with strawberries mixed into it. It was not difficult at all to make and the family loved it, which is most important.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad it tasted good. I have no idea what rhubarb tastes like, but it does not look like it tastes like apple.
    -Aliyya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I made it before you left, but it had a tart taste with a sweetness from the sugar. The texture was like the insides of an apple pie so I can see why the kids said that. But all in all it was very delicious. I will definitely have to make one on your return...by the way it was also vegan.

      Delete