Pages

Followers

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

More About The Green Stuff

After writing my last blog on "Coffee No more", I promised I would post some pictures on the actual juices.  But today I was been a little devious in the process. My sweet child has a chronic stuffy nose, so I want to incorporate  a little more green leafy veggies in her morning drink, hoping she wouldn't say "eww!!!" and ultimately helping her stay healthly....crossing my fingers...

So this is how I do it:

Oranges, grapefruit and lime all citrus flavors

My three or four year old Juicer purchased from Costco



Peel two oranges and cut into small pieces and juice, then add in the lime unpeeled and juice (the skin has a lot of nutritious value as well).  Two oranges and lime will give you a little more than 1 tea cup of juice. 
Fresh orange juice with lime zest, seriously takes 5 minutes.  The hardest part of this is washing up the juicer - but it's all worth it.
Okay now for the trial.  So I told my 15 year old that I was adding her favorite vegetable into the mix and she didn't seem to happy.  In fact she insisted that she was not going to drink vegetables. The problem is that I could have said nothing to her about the vegetable but the color would be a dead give away.  So I opted to tell her in preparation.  Well, as I started adding broccoli into the juicer, she cried out not the stalk mammy, just the top part, so that's what I did...wink wink.   I included at least two bunches of broccoli, see above which was a good start for her.  I did also add half of mango hoping to change the color, it didn't work, but it did give the juice a sweet taste.  (BTW, mangoes are very difficult to juice, I had to open the juicer to get the pulp of the mango and added a teaspoon of water so that the mango juice could flow through the juicer). 

Final product ... First reaction as expected..."ewwww it's green - I can't drink that"


DID SHE DRINK IT....HELL YEAH!!
She finished all of it without a word. 
So I think it was all good except it was green.

For the two adults, I added two oranges, two grapefruit, 1 lime with zest, kale, cucumber, broccoli, a few asparagus stalks....as usual my biggest fan loved it very much.

ENJOY AND SHARE YOUR FAVORITE JUICE RECIPE!!

2 comments:

  1. How did it really taste? Sweet? Can you taste the veggies? Is this something you need a juicer for, or would a blender work?

    Your #1 Cuz Rida :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter's drink tasted more like orange juice because it was packed with the orange and lime zest which dominated the broccoli flavor. But you can also add apples, beets, berries, any sweet veggies or fruits to help subside the taste as well.

    If you don't have a juicer, you can actually blend your veggies and fruits as well. The textures would be different, because in the blender you are including the fiber while in the juice you are excluding it. The point is to incorporate raw food into the diet so that you can achieve all the nutritious benefits. I hope you have as much fun as I am having with raw food.

    ReplyDelete