Pages

Followers

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Mouth Watering Berry Waffles

I don't know what happened to me this morning but I woke up craving waffles. And no I am not pregnant, I just got up and wanted waffles that's all. So that's exactly what I ventured into the kitchen to make. Last week my niece and cousin stopped by and I quickly whipped that up for them so it's quick and easy, most of all it's delicious and nutritious. The good thing about waffles is that you can mix different types of flours, add flax seeds, nuts, berries, fresh fruits, peanut butter, almond butter, ahh, yes and the kids would be happy to see chocolate  in there to. Another good thing is that it can be used as a dessert as well with ice cream or as breakfast, without the bacon and eggs.  It really is a filling meal alone.  So you can never be bored eating these monsters. Today I wanted it simple and delicious so I opted to have an oat and wheat flour mix with frozen berries.

Ingredients:

Almond Milk from Trader Joe's
3/4 whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1 teaspoon flax seed (wheat germ can be used as well)
2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
berries( I used frozen blackberries & raspberries )
1 cup Almond milk (soy, coconut milk would be delicious too)
1/2 cup of applesauce
1/3 water


Mix all dry ingredients together,
Batter with the extra water

Thick batter without water
wheat flour, oat flour, flax seed, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
In a separate bowl add wet ingredients,
apple sauce, milk and frozen berries (the berries were dipped in warm water to soften)
DON'T ADD THE WATER YET!!

Mix ingredients together.  I noticed that the combination of these two flours were heavy and the batter was a little thick and that's why I held back on the water.  Now if you add different ingredients with fruits, nuts, etc, the consistency of the batter will change so you may need to add the extra water.  So you should use your judgment on this.
Now add the extra water, slowly, stirring the batter so that it smooth.



Preheat Waffle maker until it is  hot and spray with a little oil.  
Pour in the waffle mixture, close and wait a minute or so  then magic, you get golden brown waffles waiting to be eaten.  (Follow instructions of your waffle maker).





This is really very simple and can be done in even less time if the flour mixture was already prepared.  Basically mix all the dry ingredients in a Ziploc bag and store away for another time, which will cut down on the time if you had to make it before going to work or school in the morning. 

Okay, I don't know about you but I am starving. 
Please let me know if you have any special recipes with waffles, my family and I love it.  ENJOY!!




3 comments:

  1. Yes, they sure were filling and mouthwatering...and gulp...she better not be pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish! I see someone (dude above) had a party in his tummy! I don't like syrup but I love my waffles with fruits and even for dinner :-) This is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that dude is having a blast. Oh yeah, I was fortunate, I gave away my waffle maker and shamelessly asked back for it from my sister, who hadn’t used it in a while. But after seeing this, she may want it back…hopefully she is not checking out this post. LOL

      Delete