Pages

Followers

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Smoothie With Greens That Your Kids Will Love

You know how you feel like an unfit mother when your kids don't want to eat breakfast. Then dinnertime you are fighting with them to eat greens. Well this morning, before getting ready for work, I decided to make a smoothie which I do some mornings when I have time. So I made a blueberry smoothie for my daughter, which is simple:

1/4 frozen banana (by the way my daughter does not like the taste of banana
                                                   so I added a small piece, which gives the smoothie its consistency)

2 hand full of blueberries ( the more the merrier for my girl)

1/2 cup of almond milk (substitute soy/coconut milk)

Then blend

I also tossed in frozen blackberries, strawberries/raspberries. Frozen fruits will make the smoothie nice and cold. 
Voila!!  delicious smoothie for the little one.

Now after making that for her, I set it aside and decided to make another for me and the spouse adding a little greens into the mix.

3/4 frozen banana - well I just wanted to use the rest of the banana from the first batch
1 to 2 handful of kale - I used only one today
2 handful of blueberries
Optional: Frozen strawberries/ raspberries etc.
1 tsp of coconut oil
1 tsp flax seed
1.5 cup of almond milk
Then blend.

Now the best part of this, is that although I used kale into the mix, the drink still tasted like a berry smoothie and was purple.   Hmmmm, a light bulb moment flashed in my head....tada.  I mixed my daughter's blue berry smoothie with the second batch overwhelming in berries and a handful of kale and yet didnot jeapordize the blue berry taste of the entire smoothie.  Well the verdict was my daughter loved it not knowing that she was drinking her greens, not to mention a little coconut milk and flax seed.  WOOHOO...I feel like a fit mother today.

Of course if you added more greens than berries you would get a green looking drink,  but since I added more berries to the mix, the color remained berry like.    Normally when making the smoothie with kale, I actually add less berries and more kale, 1 banana and the rest of ingredients for a green smoothie.  It is very delicious with the hint of cococnut flavor.  I love it this way too.

Anyhow I hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I will be using this recipe for myself, never mind the little ones. Mine eat everything in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy....this is a great way to get your greens in.

    ReplyDelete