Pages

Followers

Monday, March 12, 2012

A Pinch of turmeric can go a long way

TURMERIC
I thought I would share this tidbit with you all today.  Within the last few months, I have been reading up on the benefits of spices and herbs, which had a profound effect on my dishes. The great thing is that most spices do not only make your food taste good, but they also add great value to your health.   For instance, basil can be used as a tea for insomnia and has antibacterial healing properties.  I read it is also used to help menstrual cramps.  Mustard seeds, when consumed frequently can reduce migraines.  Nutmeg has been used to treat joint problems and other inflammation as well as asthma.  Turmeric, which seems to top the list of great spices has so many good qualities in it as well.  Some studies show that it can help treat alzheimer and cancer.
Hmmm, anything that helps with my memory is good to me

Don't believe me?  Well this website says it. 
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/20-health-benefits-of-turmeric.html

If you are interested in incorporating spices in your life, try this great book that says it all:
"Healing Herbs & Spices" by Lee Anne Dobbins

Although turmeric can be added to almost any dish, you can add a teaspoon or two in drinks as well.  Here is something I stole from the radio this morning - At your own risk, I will try it sometime this week and post on it. 

Milk (suspect it can be soy, almond, coconut, cow's) - I will try it with coconut milk
2 teaspoon (maybe it was tablespoon)
Honey to kill the bitterness 

Here is another one I  thought I would try this week as well.  Sounded like a great cleanser - I sort of guessed the measurements, so use your own judgment on this. 

2 teaspoon Turmeric
Small piece of Ginger root
Grounded Cardamon
Spearmint leaves
1 teaspoon Agave
1/2 lemon
Pinch of Sea salt
Pinch of Cayenne
Dash of Cinnammon

Blend everything with 1 cup of water.  I hope you enjoy...


Please share your feedback on this site so others can benefit from it as well.







2 comments:

  1. Please do let us know how the cleanser turns out i might be inclined to try it for the beneficial effects of cleansing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try it this week and let you know.

    ReplyDelete