Pages

Followers

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hot Home-made Wheat Bread

I was thinking this morning that when I was about eight years old, my mother would have my sister and I make bread for the family. I actually was quite lazy, but my sister enjoyed kneading the dough, and as a matter of fact, her dough always came out soft and bread would be delicious. In fact my dough would always be hard, so my mom would let me make dumplings instead. This morning I was reminiscing about these times and realised how easy it was to eat fresh bread instead of these store brought bread that is loaded with calories and preservatives. So here I am making wheat bread hoping that it will encourage you all to try for yourself.

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups of  wheat flour
1/4 cup of honey (substitute other sweetener like maple syrup or blue agave)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup veg oil (I used olive oil instead)
1 cup of warm water
1/3 cup of milk ( I used coconut milk)
1 packet of yeast


Mix all the ingredients together except for the flour. Now mix in the flour little at a time until you form a dough. First stir with a spoon until a sticky dough is formed. Then Knead the dough about 5 to 10 minutes.

Now put a little oil in the bottom of a bowl and roll the dough into the oil. Cover bowl with a towel for an hour.

Now put some flour on a flat surface and roll dough into a log shape, then place into a lightly greased pan. Let it sit another hour to rise.

Bake in 350 degrees oven for 40 minutes or so.

See my dough in the picture below. I am making 2 loaves instead. I got a very good rise from the first hour. So make sure you don't cheat on kneading the dough. The picture in the pan could have had a bigger rise for the second hour, but hopefully while baking It will be bigger. Later I will post the final product. Please enjoy and let me know if this is helpful.


2 comments:

  1. Guess whose making bread this weekend but I may add some cranberries in my recipe.

    ReplyDelete