Pages

Followers

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Delicious Banana Cranberry Nut Vegan Bread


After baking this scrumptious bread, the aroma in the house is absolutely blissful. This bread is so good that after one or two slices, I was definitely at it again.  I made this same bread many different times for family members outside the house and I always seem to get a positive reaction from them. I found the recipe online when I was going through my "vegan stage" and have made it so many times just adding and subtracting different ingredients into it that it never fails. I love making it because it is not too sweet like a cake and it is not absolutely like a loaf bread either. It reminds me of the kind of sweet bread (Trinidadian coming out) my mother made for the family during Christmas and holidays when I was younger. It just brings back a lot of memories for me and, Oh la la, I am not joking when I tell you how wonderful my house smells right now.  As long as you have all the right ingredients, you can't go wrong I promise you.  I know you are all saying banana bread is not all that, but I do think it's all about the type of flour that I used that gives the great texture and lightness. I used spelt and oat bran flour which is not only great for making scones, cookies and cakes, but they are definitely great for your health as well.
Spelt flour package

".........Spelt has high water solubility, so nutrients are easily absorbed by the body making it easy to digest. It is high in protein (significantly higher than wheat), higher in B complex vitamins, and spelt is high in both simple and complex carbohydrates. These complex carbohydrates are an important factor in blood clotting and stimulating the body's immune system. Spelt is a superb fiber resource. Spelt's nutty flavor doesn't just taste good, it has so many other nutritional benefits that are amazingly good for you! .......". Read entire article here.

And I think you all know about the benefits of oat bran, which is high in fiber and great for anyone concerned about heart diseases, diabetes, high cholesterol etc.  Should I say more. 

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup Spelt flour (I only had a cup of spelt flour so I added 1/2 cup of wheat)
Spelt berries
1/2 cup of Oat Bran
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 bananas (sometimes I have used only 2 bananas and increased the apple sauce)
1/4 cup apple sauce (you can reduce the bananas and increase the apple sauce)
3 teaspoon canola/veg. oil
1/4 cup sugar (I sometimes used maple syrup instead of sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp Sea Salt.
1 tablespoon lemon
1 handful Cranberries
1 handful Walnuts (hmmm just a thought pecans would work too)
 Dates - (Optional -  I love dates - as a matter of fact subtract or add other types of dried fruits you like)

Riper the banana the better it is - I think anyways

In the blender, add apple sauce, lemon juice before
adding the bananas- it was just easier on the motor
for my blender



  • Add all the dry ingredients together in a bowl -  Flour, oat bran, sugar, baking soda, baking power, cinnamon, salt, cranberries, nuts
  • This all added up to 2 Cups - I actually didn't have enough spelt flour so
    I added 1/2 cup of  Wheat flour which was
    small enough that it did not
    take away from the texture of the spelt and
     oat bran after baking
  • In a blender, add bananas (cut into small pieces) , lemon, oil, apple sauce 
  •  Then blend until smooth. Now add in four or five dates and pulse the blender about four times to chop the dates into smaller pieces - (Dates are optional of course)
  • Combine wet and dry ingredients.
  • Bake in a lightly greased pan in. 350 degree oven for 45 - 50 minutes.


This can be served for breakfast or simply a great snack during the day - Oh heck, it's great anytime.  Just try it yourself and you will see.


PLEASE ENJOY!!!!



9 comments:

  1. So that's where the bananas went...The taste and smell is amazing! I think adding vegan to name might turn folks off. This doesn't taste like typical vegan fare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason why I used the vegan heading was to change the perception of vegan food. And I am truly glad it changed yours.

      Delete
  2. I can definitely tell you guys that this bread is delicious. I am one of those many people who have tasted her bread and wanted more. Its great with your morning coffee, ah what the hell it's just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dqueen....now you can make your own.

      Delete
  3. I am definitely going to try this and actually, it was the the Vegan that caught my attention. By the way...I tried the kale smoothie and it was realy good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response, I was a little skeptical about the Vegan heading as well, but this is very encouraging. Let me know how the bread turns out.

      Delete
  4. As one of the taster I can say these are very good especially the one with walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, now you have the recipe, you can make it yourself....:)

      Delete
  5. This is a delicious recipe! A definite make-again.

    ReplyDelete