Pages

Followers

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mushrooms: The Other White Meat


Still enjoying beautiful Jamaica on my vacation and while eating some pickled mushrooms, I remembered that I still had post, about roasted mushrooms, waiting in draft mode that I wanted to share with you all. 

Mushroom, calaloo, corn salad and fish


I have  been experimenting with mushrooms for the last two years and I have found it to be an extremely versatile food.  Not only have I found it to be a great substitute for meat, but it also has great nutritional value, that you shouldn't discount.  I have tried maitake, shitake, cremini, and other varieties, either roasted, stewed, sautéed or sprinkled on salads.  I know what you might be thinking, and you can stop turning up your noses, and don't say they are fungi. Lord knows I get that reaction from a lot of my friends and family.  I bet if you only knew the nutritional value of mushrooms you would change your mind.  Maybe if you were to even try it, you would see that it can serve as the basis of a meal, as a side dish, whether stewed or raw or in salads.  It really doesn't require a lot of cooking time and that is also another positive aspect about cooking with this lovely fungus. 


Ingredients:
1 to 2 cups of cremini mushrooms
2 tbsp Vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp crushed red peppers
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup basil or cilantro chopped 


Mix all ingredients together except for mushrooms. 
Now add mushrooms into the mixture.  You can also put the ingredients into a Ziploc bag with the mushrooms and thoroughly shake so that every nooks and crannies of the mushrooms are marinated with the sauce.
Roast for 15 minutes on 350 degrees in the oven.  
Drain out the water and put back into the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes.  
Optional, add a teaspoon of your favorite butter for a creamy flavor.

Mushrooms are quite delicious, easy to make and high in vitamin D and other nutrients as well.   As the saying goes, don't judge a book by its cover.  


No comments:

Post a Comment